Yo, omelette you finish, but Beyoncé had one of the best videos of all time!! (Hahah, I think I’m clever. Hopefully you get the reference. Also, how crazy is it that a Kanye West diss has managed to stay alive for 5 years?) Nothing but love to the girl T-Swizzle though. My first ever CD was her “Fearless” album, and I totally had my teenage phases jamming out to her songs in the car, the shower, or singing “Love Story” at the top of my lungs with my friends. Ok, who am I kidding. I still do that. Guilty pleasures.
Just a couple of weeks ago, my high school friends and I reunited and
sang yelled the Hannah Montana theme song all the way home. My friend has a #tbt album on her Spotify and I’m so in love with it-honestly, middle school had some of the best jams. Don’t you just get all the feels when an old song from your childhood starts playing?
Well, this omelette also gives me some feels. Just because it’s so simple, colorful, and also reminds me of my middle school days. I used to always sleep in until I had about 20 minutes left to get ready, pick an outfit (took the longest, honestly…), drive to school and be sitting in my seat ready for the start of class. Thankfully, Mom would always have omelettes waiting for me and my sister whenever we woke up so we could get our butts out of the door faster.
I love omelettes because it’s so versatile-if I don’t know what to make for breakfast (which is most days), I just look through my fridge to see what vegetables I have, scramble it together, throw it in a pancake, or make an omelette. So naturally this omelette came together on one of those usual mornings, and I had some leftover tuna, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach and arugula. Plus two eggs. Top it with some tomatoes, avocado and BAM. There ya go.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 of an onion, chopped
- 3-4 mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 of red bell pepper
- 2 forkfuls of canned tuna
- Coconut oil, for frying
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dried herbs (rosemary, oregano, etc.)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Avocado, sliced
- Heat coconut oil in frying pan over medium high heat.
- Cook onions, bell peppers for 1-2 minutes, until translucent and soft.
- Add in mushrooms, tuna, spinach, and arugula, and cook for about 1 more minute.
- Set cooked vegetables aside.
- In separate bowl, mix eggs well and add in salt, pepper, and dried herb seasonings.
- Pour egg into pan, spreading continuously as egg begins to thicken.
- Add cooked vegetables once edges start to turn golden brown, then fold egg on top.
- Let cook for a couple more minutes, or until eggs are set.
- Slide onto plate, top with sliced tomatoes and avocados.
- Serve immediately.
- These measurements are just an estimate, feel free to add more or less/add more ingredients/take out ingredients based on your preference. Or whatever's left in the fridge.
- Sprinkle with cheese for some ooey-gooey goodness, if you'd like!